Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Samsung clx 3170 : Clearing paper wrapped around the fuser

About 6 months ago, we used 70 gsm paper in the printer and it got wrapped around the fuser. I researched a fix but it looked too hard and ended up taking the printer to a repairer who replaced the whole assembly.

last week it happened again. Right before Christmas. Crazy time. I had holidays coming up so it's a great time to tackle it rather than pay for it.

I found two li ks that contained the good oil:

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIKdbgsbRlw

 

and

 

http://www.fixya.com/support/t6880316-need_replace_samsung_clx_3175fn


 

They were all good and correct and I'd like to add to them.

  1. When pulling off the cover, the front side of the right hand cover is the hardest side to do. Persevere. Ensure you put it over the end of the table like its recommended in the vid on you tube.
  2. I also found while putting it back that disconnecting the hinge on the toner door made it easier to get bar on. However, if you do that ensure once you have the front side on that you re engage the hinge. If the cover is fully on it s harder to reattach. Not impossible, just hard.
But back to the paper around the fuser
After you have the cover off, the fixya site says remove the two plugs holding the fuser. Which plugs? This was after I'd taken it out, but the plug goes here. Bottom right of the mother board. Undo it through all the wire guides up the sides of the motherboard.
 
The other plug is here:
Again I'd removed it. The two wires on my machine were white and to up through a hole through to the fuser unit. If you try removing the fuser unit without unplugging it will feel tethered. These two plugs are the reason. Here's the hole that they go through:
Enough on the plugs.
Once you have undone the 4 screws, and pushed he spring loaded lever on the back to get the fuser unit out, how can you access that drum to unwrap stuff. Te drum unit is hinged and screwed down to create pressure betweeen the hot rollers. You see my paper problem below
there are two screws to undo. Set the unit on a flat surface to do this
And
THe unit then opens out to this.
 
The amount of paper on mine was truly staggering. Note to self - picking at the wrapped paper with pliers does nothing and putting more paper through only creates more of a problem. I got a system overheat error and smoke appeared. I was relieved to get to this spot in the repair and that I found the browned, smelly paper characteristic of the problem.
When you are spinning the drum to unrol make sure you don't unseat the hubs at the ends of the drums. They can't really come out due to the temperature sensors ( I presume the two white wires are the sensors. ) but you can unseat them and rotate them so they don't go back in.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

Björn said...

Thank you very much! It worked and you saved my printer :)

Unknown said...

Great, Mine keeps doing this. I'm using 80g paper. Is this too thin? Ive already replaced the fuser unit and ruined a second one straight away.

Unknown said...

Kevin,

I reckon 80gsm should be ok, but try going up one. I know 120 is too thick. I think it's a design flaw and it's crucial that the paper goes in the hopper pristine.

Cheers

Mark